The MIMIC II Clinical Database is one of the two MIMIC II Databases. The Clinical Database contains comprehensive clinical data from tens of thousands of Intensive Care Unit (ICU) patients. The data were collected between 2001 and 2008 from a variety of ICUs (medical, surgical, coronary care, and neonatal) in a single tertiary teaching hospital. Records have been de-identified using software developed for that purpose. Due to its sensitive information, access to the MIMIC II Clinical Database is restricted to registered users. See MIMIC II: Getting Access for details.
Clinical Database Categories:
The following list is not comprehensive but is intended as an overview of the data categories.
- General - Patient demographics, hospital admissions & discharge dates, room tracking, death dates (in or out of the hospital), ICD-9 codes, unique code for health care provider and type (RN, MD, RT, etc). All dates are surrogate dates due to privacy issues but time intervals (even those between multiple admissions of the same patient) are preserved.
- Physiological - Hourly vital sign metrics, SAPS, SOFA, ventilator settings, etc.
- Medications - IV meds, provider order entry data, etc.
- Lab Tests - Chemistry, hematology, ABGs, imaging, etc.
- Fluid Balance - Intake (solutions, blood, etc) and output (urine, estimated blood loss, etc).
- Notes & Reports - Discharge summary, nursing progress notes, etc; cardiac catheterization, ECG, radiology, and echo reports.
Although the database does not currently contain codes that indicate the procedures performed on a patient, the nursing notes, discharge summaries and charted parameters may be used to infer this information (Procedure (CPT) codes will be provided in later MIMIC II releases). For a more detailed description of the database categories, please see the database description in the MIMIC II Users Guide.
- MIMIC II Home
- MIMIC II Getting Access
- MIMIC II User's Guide
- Using the MIMIC II Clinical Database
- MIMIC II Clinical Database (Public Subset)
- MIMIC II Clinical Database flat files